Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sweet December Ride!

Went for my first training ride, of my new training year, Saturday afternoon.

Started out just mellow paced with no particular planned route. Just flyin' by the seat of my pants.

It was a great day for riding in December. Sun was shining and the temp was above freezing a little.

I rolled out of home at 2:00 heading south through down town. Ended up going down the dirty side of the 12 mile creek. Did the 1st part of Suzanne's trail. It was pretty sweet. Until I hit the nasty Ice sections. So I abandoned that trail and hit the double track over to the Glendale Bridge. Went and started Marv's trails. They were pretty frozen too, but I hit 1 or 2 spots that were just starting to thaw so I ended the trail ride on that side then went to the other side of the creek to head over to Hydro Hill direction. Took Lockheart drive out to the foot path up to Alphies trough. Streached a bit then put in my bestest ever climb up to the top of the escarpment. I made it about 3 yards short of making it up all the way. SWEET!

Anyways, I headed over to the fence line trail and thought it would be a good day for trail photos. So I took a few of my Kona.

Was tryin to get an action shot of me on the trail via the timer on the camera. But no luck. I need more practice. Found out takin' pics while riding is very time consuming. At least action shots.

So I continued riding. The legs felt alive after putting out a good effort up the big hill to Alfie's Trough. SO I decided to pick up the pace a bit. Besides my toes were starting to get a little cold. I ended up going under the 406 in the tunnel. Decided to snap a few pics of the rig again. Had fun crossing the ice in the tunnel. It's a good thing I only weigh 155 lbs. or I woulda broke through. The bike was actually about a foot off the ground in the tunnel.
Decided to make it a point of getting shots of my bikes in different places while on rides from now on.

Went past the Red Barn out to Allenburg Bridge and took the canal trail back to Thorold.

Did some intervals most of the way down to Lock 7. 20sX10s for about 7 minutes. It was good to open up the legs.

Saw a few boats and got a couple shots.


Then just high tailed it down the old canal path home.

All told about 40 km ride. Pretty sweet for December.

No comments:

Post a Comment