Tuesday, November 17, 2009

KB race report part 2


Back to my KB CX race report.
The flat section in front of the Chalet at KB was filled with really tight 180 turns. Maybe about a dozen or so. Some of them were a little too tight, so there was alot of stretching the tape going on. Most of the corners had good traction, except for the couple over by the ski lifts and the melting snow for the rail jam. The barriers were right in front of the chalet for all to watch the action. From the last 180 on the flat there was a wide open section across the front of the chalet with a slight right curve to the finish line.

After a run up the hill on my practice lap, there was no need to do any more warming up. So I went to the car and switched to my race kit. The temp was up around 15 degrees or so. So all I had to wear was my bibs and a Short sleeve jersey.
I went into the lodge to jettison the liquids from me bladder and meandered over to the line at about 12:50. I think most everyone else was already there so I had to slip in near the back of the field. I think I managed to slide up the the 3rd row in our field of 17 master 35+ riders. The officials had already were just finishing the rules for the race so I was kinda going in the dark for what to look out for.
A quick shuffling of the start line into 2 separate categories, with the Open Mens field starting 1 min ahead of the masters. When the men went off I noticed a dude with a masters number going with them. But thought nothing of it untill later in the race.
So when the whistle went we were off! The start straight through the parking lot was pretty narrow, so I was just trying to pass if it was real safe. I figured I'd just wait until we got on the wide open road.
We were going at a good sprint down the road, and I was just trying to grab a wheel if I could. Hoping not to get dropped. By the end of the first straight I had worked my way up to 2nd or 3rd wheel. We hit the 180, and started back into the wind going slightly up hill. I was drafting about the 1st 3rd of the road. When the puller got tired I'd go around him. About 1/2 way down the road I found myself in the lead, with someone on my wheel. I didn't know who it was, but I was sure I wasn't about to pull anyone along. So I did my best to shake him. I started swerving right and left across the whole road. Even bunny hopping the odd pot hole along the way just to get rid of the wheel sucker. It turns out it was my local training buddy Shawn Conlon. I didn't know it was him. If I did I would have let him tag along.
SO I come off the road in the lead. We hit the hills now, and I knew it would be a grind for me. On the first lap I didn't get passed running up the slope because I still had lots of power and the adrenaline was flowing pretty good.
I think I led the rest of the lap and all the way back down the road again. By this time we started passing the back of the open mens cat. We blew by Jeff (Mid-Pack Rider) and Robin (Scrawny Cyclist). I was still leading coming off the road and around a big tree. Someone had knocked the tape down and I turned right into the non-course side of the tape. But I realized it wasn't the course real quick and put my arm under the tape and got back on course pretty easily. But it was pretty funny hearing all the confusion and a big ruckus behind me as there was about 6 riders in tow up until that point. Jeff said he passed a couple guys who were tied up in the tape.
Back to the hills again.

Dang I have to go to work now so I finish the race report in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment