Monday, November 9, 2009

A trip through the woods with a Major One!

Went out for a ride this evening after 8:30. It was a too nice out not to ride.
Solo of course! Mostly because I never know when I'll get around to riding.

It's so much fun blasting down the trails at night with a light on. You can only live as far as the light shines. Around every corner is something that you have to react to.

So anyways I went out with no idea of where I wanted to go. I just knew I wanted to ride. I ended up warming up through downtown and over past the "White House of Rock" down into the valley under the high level bridge. The first down hill is a great way to get your blood pumping and the adrenaline coursing through your veins.
Went to the east side of the 12 mile creek and over to Suzanne's trail. I stopped just into the single track to stretch.
Heard some crackling and thought someone was messing around in the woods by the creek. But it turns out it was some rednecks across the creek, up the bank in the Western Hill, burning some leaves in their back yard. The fire had to be about 12' high.

Suzanne's trail was in wicked shape. It was fast and smooth like a race track. Sweet Single track!

Went up the east side of the creek at Glendale to the red sands. It was fast too. Can you say Hammer time? I actually made it up the upper part of the trail past the red sands.

Went in to what I call Switchback City. Really it should be called is Boss Hog's trail. It was a good work out. Especially on the Kona Major One, geared at 42X18. I was glad to climb everything. And it was a sign of things to come. Someone had been in there raking the leaves off the trail. It was fun.

Went up the trail beside Lockhart dr. And saw a couple deer. Pretty big and cool to get so close to them.

Went to the backside of the gate at the bottom of Hydro Hill. And sprinted up to the Switch Back trail to Alfie's trough trail. Tried running up, but there was so much leaves covering the rocks, it was trip city waiting to happen. That and the fact I could hardly breath from the road sprint up.
All of Alfie's trough was leaf covered . But there was a definite tramppled trail to follow. It was cool speeding along the ridge. I actually made the climb up to Brock at the end of the trail. Sweet!
Went across the top next. It was good because someone painted all the rocks and roots white. It must be for the Brock runners or something.
Popped out and did the fence line trail over to the road. Ended up doing some sprint work on the road. Sprint for 20 seconds and rest for 10 and repeat till I hit the Brock trail.
Riding at night is also cool because even though I had rode the trails hundreds of times, they always appear different. Kinda like a new trail.
Came to Decew road and jammed on the brakes because there was a snow fence up for the construction. Hiked around it and rode the bridge. All the asphalt was torn off so I was riding old wood on the base of the bridge.
Cut in behind the ruins and started with the sprint intervals again for the whole trail and out around the reservoir.
Dropped in and did the Mill trail. It is best going in the west direction, because it is mostly down hill. High speed blasting all the way.
Popped out at the Mill and went over to Driftwood. Had some good memories of the Squeezer bombing down the trail. Took the easy way up the steep at the creek.
Went into the Short Hills and did the Magic Carpet Ride trail over to the Hill up to Pelham rd. Had a good burn going up the hill.
Next down to the scout camp and over to Hogs Back Trail. Almost climbed it, but put a foot down a couple times. Still managed to get going again and mashed up to the top. The backside was real sketchy with all the leaves and the muddy base.
The Very Berry Trail out to the road was a blast at speed.
Next, went left up into the pines. Had a good climb up there. Plenty of power. I was surprised how good I felt climbing everything.
Had to jam on the brakes, as there was a small tree down at about knee height, blocking the trail at the bottom of the Pickston trail.
After that I took the high road over to the guard rail. And was also amazed at how well I cleaned the steep up.
Why stop there? So I went up the trail again at Power Glen Dr. I think that burned most of the matches I had left though. Didn't feel like climbing much after that, so I skipped the new trail, and went right to the pines at Rotary Park. Managed to clean the up, after the little bridge to the park. But I was officially done climbing for the night.
Went over and down to the Twister trail and had a blast whooping and dipping along there.
Wussed out and took the flats over to Glendale from there.
The last effort of the night was a longish interval from Glendale to the foot bridge under the High level bridge. I pushed the pace the whole way. And the cx dismount and hop over the chain at the end was a good finish to the ride.

It definitely was a bonus to get out and ride some sweet single track in great shape in November. Along with the balmy late September temps.

I will be riding tomorrow. A little less fun and more like work though CX intervals. Hopefully in the daylight too.

No comments:

Post a Comment