Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just missed the peleton!

I wonder why I am always rushing?
Something I have to work on I guess.
No preparation for the ride ahead of time might explain it. Next time I'll be there on time. I hope!

Anyways this morning I got up in time. Got dressed and fueled up and started to work on my bike to change the gearing so I wouldn't be so spinny trying to hang on to the back of the Short Hills cycling club Sunday road group ride.
I got the rig ready in time but was running around trying to find all my gear to stay warm enough. Lost around 10 minutes there. Then I lost another 5 minutes trying to start the car. Seems to be on it's way out. So I decided to ride up the hill to meet the group.
Missed them by about 8 minutes. So instead of bothering them with a phone call,I figured I would bust my arse for a bit and take some short cuts and get ahead of the gang part way out there. I kinda had an idea as to the route the gang was gonna take so I just kept pushing to catch them. Well I guess I either pushed too hard or I took the wrong way to find them. It doesn't really matter because I was having a good ride on a beautiful day in the country. It kinda added to the ride to see if I could find them.
Here's the route I took for the day. I'll call it the River Rd Route

I did great pushing myself most of the time. No music just the sound of the wind and the constant whurring of my tires. Some real good solitude and meditation in the sun.
My gearing was still a little light but not bad at 42X18. I'll have to kick it up a couple more teeth in a few weeks.
Even though I didn't catch the group it was still a fantastic ride.
After a short stop at the Morningstar mill to talk to fellow local Single Speeder Adrian Palmer, I ended up getting to the Brock Tim Horton's about 10 minutes after the group. I hung out there to re-carb a bit, then headed down the hill home.

Here is my only picture I took on the ride. It's of a beer can Inukshuk I made on river road. Just in case the group was behind me. Something for them to discuss while riding.

So ends another mis-adventure of a single speeder

No comments:

Post a Comment